• Users Online: 1721
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2022  |  Volume : 4  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 12

Rate and risk factors for posterior capsular rent in small incision cataract surgery in a teaching hospital


Department of Ophthalmology, Ramaiah Medical College and Hospital, Bengaluru, Karnataka, India

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Devappa Namrata
Plot No. 11, Devi Colony, Bidar, Karnataka
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/pajo.pajo_109_21

Rights and Permissions

Purpose: The purpose was to study the proportion and risk factors for posterior capsular rent (PCR) in small incision cataract surgery in a teaching hospital. Methods: We conducted a retrospective observational study of all cases with PCR in small incision cataract surgery performed between November 2015 and May 2018. The medical records were analyzed and data were collected. Results: There were a total of 63 cases of PCR out of 4206 cases who underwent small incision cataract surgery with a 1.68% PCR rate. The mean age was 65.5 years and the male-to-female ratio was 2.15:1. There was no association between nuclear sclerosis, pupil dilatation, and pseudoexfoliation. Resident operated surgeries had a PCR rate of 1.96 compared to faculty operated surgeries which was 1.46. Three faculty surgeons accounted for 54.3% of the cases while the remaining ten surgeons accounted for 45.7% of the cases. Postoperative day 1 vision was low, with only 19% achieving >6/18 vision, and 54% of the individuals needed more than one topical drug and 61.5% were started on oral steroids. Conclusion: Surgeon- and patient-related factors are equally important in avoiding posterior capsule rent in cataract surgeries. Patient-related factors should be carefully assessed preoperatively on slit-lamp biomicroscope, so that surgeons are prepared for all the complications and visual morbidity limited. Surgeon factors also need to be looked into and efforts have to be made to limit them and thus ensure the right to vision to each patient.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed786    
    Printed22    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded60    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal